Re: Sometimes I get stuck in the minibuffer

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Sometimes I get stuck in the minibuffer
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 10:55:05 +0000

Lately I’ve been encountering this weird behaviour where out of nowhere, especially when switching buffers, the minibuffer will arrest focus, and I have to use ‘other-window’ or similar to escape. This is not when I’m prompted anything, the focus remains in the empty minibuffer like in any other buffer, and if I try ‘C-x b’, I get

   user error: Cannot switch buffers in minibuffer window

Because of this, I can’t switch buffers sometimes; when I hit C-x b, when the relevant prompt appears, it tries to switch buffers in the minibuffer window, leading to the above error. I can’t ‘keyboard-quit’ my way out of this, because, while that does quit the prompt, I’m then stuck in the minibuffer window, and I need to use window selection commands like I said above to be able to leave. Which works fine, but then I can no longer use ‘switch-to-buffer’ in that frame without this issue repeating, so I can’t switch buffers and lose my layout.

Don't worry, this has nothing to with your configuration, it's because the minibuffer is currently being "improved". "On n'arrete pas le progres !"

If you manage to create a reproductible recipe that triggers this bug, please M-x report-emacs-bug.