RE: [External] : indentation

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : indentation
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 15:01:57 +0000

> I'm constantly annoyed by too aggressive automatic indentation when
> editing. Basically when I press enter, the cursor on the new line
> is automatically moved to the column of first character of the
> preceding line. This is in the Fundamental mode.
>
> It gets even worse e.g. in the F90 mode. It e.g. moves a comment
> (starting with !) on preceding line to the column of first character of
> the next (really!) line when I add new line inside a code. This is
> crazy, why I couldn't have comment starting at column 1? The emacs
> simply can't know what I'm going to do on new empty line!!
>
> In older emacs versions, when I presses enter, the cursor simply stayed
> at column 1 on new line. If I wanted a formatting, I pressed tab key.
> Please, please, how to return to this older setting? I went through all
> customizations containing indent, but nothing works.

Yes, as others have said, turn off `electric-indent-mode',
to restore the sane behavior you're used to and love. ;-)

This "modernization" was yet another attempt to make Emacs
seem more like other apps some people might be used to.
On n'arrete pas let progres...

"The emacs simply can't know", indeed.  Fortunately, there's
a way to let it know, in this case.