Re: [External] : indentation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [External] : indentation
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 13:04:18 -0400

> This "modernization" was yet another attempt to make Emacs
> seem more like other apps some people might be used to.

Huh?  This modernization was pretty much a unilateral choice made by
yours truly, and I have no idea what "other apps" do in this regard, so
the intention was definitely not what you state.

Instead, it was based on a mix of my personal preference, a look at the
behavior of existing major modes (many of the most popular programming
modes having explicit rebindings of RET to some kind of "newline+indent"
command), and a desire to promote this new mode in the hope to speed up
the elimination of those mode-specific RET keybindings which really
aren't mode-specific at all in most cases but just reflect the
personal preference of their author.

I know full well that it disagrees with some users, but there has been
surprisingly few complaints over this change, so in retrospect I think
I made the right call (something which is always pretty hard to know
beforehand).

        Stefan