Re: indentation

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: indentation
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 16:23:57 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> More seriously, this does not necessarily require "smarts":
> in some (many?) projects, the coding conventions says
> precisely how indentation should be done, so there is no
> "smartness" involved and if you don't like what the
> auto-indentation does, either it's because of a bug in the
> code, or it's because you disagree with the conventions (and
> overriding the conventions should be rare).

That's exactly right, set up the technology to do the routine
stuff and only where it matters you apply your own creativity
and brilliance so it will be put into just the right place :)

Some people say Emacs is all about automation, other say pro
programmers are so productive with Emacs it is amazing, yet
other say Emacs makes you so creative virtually nothing ever
gets done...

But actually I think one should instead think of all that as
positive entities that work _together_, and not at
all orthogonally. Or at the very least it doesn't HAVE to be
like that!

Like the Greek poets and drama writers of the ancient world,
they had tons of formal rules, methods, a whole scientific
approach to their craft and art, with terminology and
everything. But as it happens, knowing all that was not
a limitation, on the contrary it OPENED the doors of
inspiration and creativity. And made it more fun and
interesting while doing it, I'm sure!

So greetings from Sweden to all Emacs hackers all around the
world, I'll do my best to return to Elisp myself as soon as
possible God willing.

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/ut/ut.png
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/ut/ut.webp

--