Re: How to tame compiler?

From: Jorge P . de Morais Neto
Subject: Re: How to tame compiler?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 10:31:04 -0300

Hi all!

Em [2021-04-22 qui 10:46:59-0400], Stefan Monnier escreveu:

>> Is there a way to avoid these warnings?
>
> Yes: don't abuse `eval` ;-)

Jean Louis, could you provide a little more detail on what are you using
~eval~ for?  Some tasks accomplished by eval can be done more safely by
other means.  For example, if you just want symbol indirection, you can
use ~symbol-value~ (there is also ~symbol-function~).  If you want to
apply a function object to a sequence of arguments, you can use ~apply~
or ~funcall~.

I know little about Elisp; more experienced hackers may know about other
mechanisms that avoid the need for ~eval~.

Regards

--
- <https://stallmansupport.org> "In Support of Richard Stallman"
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.