Getting emacs --daemon working in Chromebook Crostini VM

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Getting emacs --daemon working in Chromebook Crostini VM
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 15:41:58 +0100

Hi,

I'm not sure what has changed but I've got a very weird problem with
trying to run Emacs on my Chromebook. The Crostini container is a
standard Debian Buster install and I can run emacs normally from the
command line and get a GUI. However when try and start the daemon with:

  emacsclient -a '' -c -n

I can see it starting up but it never completes and opens a frame. It's
not hung because I can trigger a new frame to appear via Edit with Emacs
sending a new frame request from the browser. However I can't use any
minibuffer operations and any attempts to do so hangs as the prompt is
echoed on the terminal I launched the daemon from.

Any idea what could be going on or how best to debug this?

--
Alex Bennée