Re: require (was: Re: Hooks in minor modes)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: require (was: Re: Hooks in minor modes)
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 08:49:45 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-01 03:27]> Well yes, but that is the
_intention_, so I don't understand
> why you say that. If I OTOH would want ~/tmp why would I try
> to point to that with "."? why would I do that?
> instead I would add it hard-coded. but I only want ~/tmp when
> that's where I am and that is what "." means.

Sure I got it you keep "." as it is for you a way to load scripts from
current directory wherever you are. That way you load those from
directory.

To me that defeats the purpose of load-path, as it is normally used
from scripts, loading or requiring should take place regardless of
current directory, it is not much interactive.

By the way when I am in Dired, I am thus changing current directory,
and when I wish to load file not in load-path, I just use key `L' and
load arbitrary file interactively.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns