Re: Org mode rant

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Org mode rant
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 09:10:07 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-01 03:47]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> >> Sure but not everyone likes it.
> >
> > For notes I have been using database for long time, then in
> > 2016, I found about Org mode, and it is quite helpful to
> > quickly without direct LaTeX usage generate good quality PDF
> > files
>
> Sorry, you can't do that. Org mode is a way of organizing
> data, it is not a generator of documents. Is the answer I got
> anyway when I asked how to make the result look civilized. Ha.

Maybe it is not, but I use Org export functions to get nice PDF
documents that people practically use in the field.

> re: LaTeX I was once told "you are obsessed with LaTeX"
> (Swedish "du är besatt av LaTeX", it literally means that).
> I answered "Yeah? What about you?" ("Okej? Du då?") and he
> just said "No" ("Nej") and left.

Who knows which latex you meant... This one is rather spelled as
LaTeH the other one is used for balloons and population minimization.

> > Markdown
>
> Markdown a lot of FOSS people have been in touch with since
> the READMEs with all the square brackets you get when you get
> FOSS software, that is Markdown.
>
> Unbelievable BTW, I was just using it!

I have no idea why would README be in Markdown, but never mind. Unless
one wants to expand it into HTML, readme looks better without
Markdown.

First began using it back in the same year when it was published,
today almost everybody uses it. I had static website generation before
any free software came up with it. Today there are many. At that time,
before maybe 16 years, would I mention static website generation I
would almost get stoned.

Markdown and few other markups for HTML have one huge flaw that nobody
talks about, it misses the size for pictures which in the end turns
HTML invalid. That is why I never use any other Markdown but Discount
markdown for images. It is anyway fastest.

Pandoc's markdown I may use sometimes to make nicer syntax
highlighting for code, where there are no images involved.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/