Re: On markdown images

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: On markdown images
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 14:25:09 +0300

* Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> [2021-05-01 14:10]:
> Width and height attributes, when their values are correct, do help
> the browser lay out the page. It can reserve a known space before the
> image gets downloaded and go on processing the rest of the page.
>
> When width and height are missing, the browser does not know how much
> space to reserve, so, when it finally receives the image and finds out
> its dimensions, it has to go back and re-layout everything from the
> point of the image.
>
> Explicit width and height attributes are not the only way to mitigate
> this. For example, one could specify image dimensions in CSS. Or just
> redefine some images to be block elements and fit 100% of their
> container width.

That was it.

Yet to specify image dimensions in CSS within Markdown context becomes
difficult. If it is separate CSS, it would be tiresome, if it would be
inline CSS, alright somehow, but none Markdown support that so
far. One can always write HTML in Markdown documents, of course, but
that does not help.

Some pictures have different proportions and they may come up
dynamically, I would not like displaying such with incorrect
proportions.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns