Re: outline-minor-mode and org-mode capabilities for programming languag

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: outline-minor-mode and org-mode capabilities for programming languages
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 12:01:25 +0200

> [...]
> well.
>
> ;;;; ↝ THIS IS MY STYLE OF A HEADING in Emacs Lisp
>
> I like it that way, and I have only defined one level, as I don't need
> more in that mode.
>
> In that mode it is:
>
> outline-heading-alist ⇒ '((";;;; ↝" . 2))
>
> As simple as that.
>
> See my video demonstration here below.
>
> The Power of Outline Minor Mode for Emacs
> https://hyperscope.link/3/7/2/7/9/The-Power-of-Outline-Minor-Mode-for-Emacs-37279.html
>
> > How about extending it to subheadings like org-mode.  It is a good idea
> > to use the comment declaration for defining headings, and also use * for
> > heading levels as in org-mode.  For languages with multiline comments
> > I simply used *, then changed to org-mode.  In elisp I made a multiline
> > comment function.
> >
> > For texinfo, which has multi-line comment capability I have been doing
> >
> > @ignore
> > * Heading
> > @end ignore
> >
> > @ignore
> > ** Subheading
> > @end ignore
>
> No need for that, please just see description of variable:
> outline-heading-alist
>
> outline-heading-alist is a variable defined in ‘outline.el’.
>
> Its value is nil
>
>   Automatically becomes buffer-local when set.
>
> Alist associating a heading for every possible level.
> Each entry is of the form (HEADING . LEVEL).
> This alist is used two ways: to find the heading corresponding to
> a given level and to find the level of a given heading.
> If a mode or document needs several sets of outline headings (for example
> numbered and unnumbered sections), list them set by set and sorted by level
> within each set.  For example in texinfo mode:
>
>      (setq outline-heading-alist
>       '(("@chapter" . 2) ("@section" . 3) ("@subsection" . 4)
>            ("@subsubsection" . 5)
>         ("@unnumbered" . 2) ("@unnumberedsec" . 3)
>            ("@unnumberedsubsec" . 4)  ("@unnumberedsubsubsec" . 5)
>         ("@appendix" . 2) ("@appendixsec" . 3)...
>            ("@appendixsubsec" . 4) ("@appendixsubsubsec" . 5) ..))
>
> Instead of sorting the entries in each set, you can also separate the
> sets with nil.
>
> Also, when I need re-numbering of lists like in Org mode, invoke
> orgalist-mode when I need that. In general, many Org functions could
> be useful in other modes, would they be split into separate packages.
>
> > They should always go with the comment declaration for the language.
> > Most likely good, but then one cannot easily switch to org-mode.
> > Then again, if the topics of discussion are resolved, there wauld
> > not me much need to change to org-mode for certain org-mode
> > operations.
>
> I don't believe Org mode is solution for everything. In my Hyperscope
> system and also Website Revision System specific system, I have no
> limitation on what mode or text processor to use.

No, only when one wants org-like features.  The plan should be that
outline-minor-mode
handles them, which you have outlined.

> Org mode IS bloated. It has everything what one needs and much more
> what I don't need. It is based on Outline mode and thus I like often
> invoking Outline mode as that satisfies basic needs without fiddling
> with Org mode keybindings and whatever other additional not necessary
> functions. Surely I do use Org mode, but when it is needed.

Isee that org-mode should not have handled programming languages.  That
should have been a new programming major mode for multi-language coding.

I much like the original idea of org-mode and keeping close to that.

> When you mention "Org" I think of bloated number of Org packages and
> functions. That is why I asked, what do you think you need? You said
> highlighting, headings, folding, so that is about all available in
> outline-minor-mode

I found a number of packages that extend outline-mode, making things
complicated.

> > I agree with you up to a point.  For starters let's just clean
> > things up with the capabilities that are already implemented.
> > Literate schemes are good for organisational purposes, but for
> > programming, literate schemes make everything much more cumbersome,
> > and ultimately yield to total disaster in terms of efficiency in
> > going through the code base.  One thing that does help is self
> > documuntation if kept brief within the code file.
>
> Disaster comes with inefficient or non-integrated implementation. How
> I see Emacs in general, it is a pile of useful stuff, on which pile,
> more piles are added on top, with more stuff on top of the top, of the
> top of the piles of piles.
>
> We have all function well described, indexed, findable, locatable,
> usable in programming, we have it all, but IMHO integration is not
> adequate for my standard. I have expected more of computing in 21st
> century.

Welcome to the club of forward thinking.  There is so much work to do
and so much planning.  I have agreed with Eric Raymond when he said that
even an idiot can code.

> I would expect something like, to tell by speech to computer:
>
> "...THEN GIVE ME ALL BUFFER AS A STRING..." which would interpolate
> into necessary functions.
>
> "...THEN REPLACE ALL OCCURENCES OF THE FOLLOWING..." (type the string)
> and computer asks "With what do you want to replace it?" then type the
> replacement. And then computer would ask for various possible
> mischievous effects, and would correct programmer, and in the same
> time find similar functions in other 10000 Emacs packages or for any
> kind of programming language that could be related to it. It would
> conduct database queries locally and remotely.
>
> How about tag based programming? Just think what you want to do, and
> other tags appear. Like STRING --- CUT, FIRST PART, LAST PART, FIND
> ANYWHERE IN THE STRING, SPLIT, CONVERT TO LIST, CHARS, or LIST --
> REMOVE DUPLICATES, REVERSE etc. Tags could be shown on screen, user
> just clicks on it and decides relations, something similar to
> https://scratch.mit.edu -- where children program animations. More
> literate, more meanings, just ideas and intentions that result in a
> program.

Too much literate and you loose conciseness.  As in mathematics, if things
become too literate you would not be able to see a proof you can understand
in a few pages.  A more mathematical approach to things would help in dramatic
ways.