Re: outline-minor-mode and org-mode capabilities for programming languag

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: outline-minor-mode and org-mode capabilities for programming languages
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 20:05:37 +0300

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2021-05-10 15:53]:
> > How about instead of embedding code in the text, to embed text in the
> > code?
>
> Originally I had bought in the idea of Knuth and others, but did not
> buy on their results with literate programming.  What I find
> valuable is the the development of protowriting that communicates
> limited information.  They maybe a parser that goes through the to
> obtain a more literate translation.

Simple Way to Document Code with Markdown, grep, and pandoc | Richard Zach
https://people.ucalgary.ca/~rzach/blog/2014/05/simple-way-to-document-code-with-markdown-grep-and-pandoc.html

Basically, few shell tools and a workflow may replace all the
"literate programming" tools there are. Just write the markup in
comments, and pre-process the file with `cut', `grep', etc. to
generate output.

> > That is where embedding text into the code comes in. There need not be
> > visible text in the code, but one could click and get the same
> > function elaborated with the markup source, markup result such as PDF,
> > and one could jump back to the code.
>
> The strategy of hiding is good.  But I promote the idea of having separate
> files.  Documentation in code will be limited, more elaborate schemes for
> documunetation on a separate file.  Most times the code is the place to check
> things.

That can be done by method using GNU Hyperbole or principle of it,
just make each (defun ) or (defvar ) and maybe functions a button that
points to something else, editable.

Right now if I use M-RET with GNU Hyperbole it brings me to definition
of a function, and often it works better than M-. that brings me also
to definitions, but it will not find it at all times.

> > In other words, don't make it too literate for illiterates.
>
> There has to be a background and foundation.  For instance,
> magnetism is one of those things that's just too difficult to
> understand, except through an elaborate education in physics.  In
> computing, we have not arrived at that stage yet.

Back in time we were making programs for schools that were very
helpful for pupils to learn physics. We don't have much of it today.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/