Re: headings for texinfo-mode using outline-minor-mode

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: headings for texinfo-mode using outline-minor-mode
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 15:36:32 +0300

* pietru@caramail.com <pietru@caramail.com> [2021-05-12 07:44]:
> > `texinfo-mode` is one of the rare modes which explicitly sets
> > `outline-heading-alist`, so you have the answer in there ;-)
>
> Would it not be better for outline-minor-mode to set "outline-heading-alist"
> for each language.  Then, in each language mode, one simply calls the
> appropriate function.

That is the thought I assume each of us has.

There are many modes, various macros, functions. Many modes do not
have its outline structure. Emacs Lisp mode does not have "outline"
defined, we can just virtualize it and think how to create
outline. Its structure would greatly depend of the style, and comments
definition, for example to start writing (defun on the beginning of
the line. Each user can have different comment definition.

Modes which could be used with outline-minor-mode are especially those
with lightweight markup languages and some modes use
outline-minor-mode anyway, so for these it could be done:

adoc-mode and asciidoctor-mode
t2t-mode for txt2tags
markdown-mode
latex-mode and similar TeX macros, like context-mode

I don't know for plain TeX-plain-tex-mode for example as \beginsection
is just one so far I know. TeX-plain-tex-mode is definitely usable for
reports that don't require elaborate structures. It is way easier to
create report with TeX-plain-tex-mode

Hello there

\beginsection
Here I am

\bye

Whoever now finds good outline-heading-alist post it here, please.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/