Re: [External] : Cannot see what is written on modeline

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: [External] : Cannot see what is written on modeline
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 15:09:12 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: wael-zwaiter@gmx.com
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 14:12:48 +0200
>>
>> > Where did those colors come from? they are not the default colors.
>>
>> I took them from calling
>>
>>    M-x customize-face mode-line
>
> So you your self asked Emacs to use these colors? then I think Emacs
> shouldn't second-guess you.

I think that the OP is saying that he looked up the colors through M-x
customize-face, not that he *setted* them.

I asked him to make some experiments to determine the source of those
colors, but his last message in our exchange contained only quoted text
from previous messages.

> There could be a place to warn the user that these colors mean low
> contrast, when the user is about to save the changes.  Would that be
> good enough?

In general, that feature could avoid the scenario where by accident or
ignorance the user sets a background and foreground so similar to each
other that the customize-face interface itself becomes unreadable.

Instead of asking before applying the changes, is could be better to ask
after the changes are visible, using a temporary "safe" color
combination on the minibuffer: "your changes look like this, do you want
to keep them?".