Re: Running Emacs without any display server

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Running Emacs without any display server
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 09:49:04 +0200

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 07:42:30AM +0530, Abhiseck Paira wrote:

> > But you don't say where you run Emacs.  For example, here in macOS's
> > Terminal app, I had to tick "Use Option as Meta key" to make it work.
>
> I run Emacs on GNU/Linux.
>
> Also I have no problem runnning Emacs in a terminal emulator. And almost
> all of the time I run the GUI version of Emacs. My problem comes when I
> try to run it without any display server (Desktop environment).

You are running it in the Linux console? FWIW, "mine" works (I know,
but I could otherwise try to reproduce your problem).

Perhaps this [1] (search for the section "Linux Console") or [2]
are helpful.

In a nutshell: the Linux console is configurable, there is loadkeys
and dumpkeys.

HTH

[1] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MetaKeyProblems
[2] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LinuxConsoleKeys