Re: [External] : Use the characters "+" and "-" in regular expressions

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [External] : Use the characters "+" and "-" in regular expressions
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 15:46:50 +0300

* steve-humphreys@gmx.com <steve-humphreys@gmx.com> [2021-05-20 13:41]:
> Am seeing how to match strings of blank lines
>
> But " +" does not do the job.  I know why, but how can one match strings of
> blanks?

[:blank:] is series of characters for that:

(string-match "[[:blank:]]" " ") ⇒ 0

Match new lines as blanks:

(string-match "[[:blank:]]" "

") ⇒ 0

There can be many various spaces, like EM SPACE: " "

Thus this will not work on EM SPACE:

(string-match " +" " ") ⇒ nil

But this will work:
(string-match "[[:blank:]]" " ") ⇒ 0