Re: Unicode fonts - Re: Why do I find ^L in elisp code?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Unicode fonts - Re: Why do I find ^L in elisp code?
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 21:36:59 +0700

On Mon, 24 May 2021 at 21:27, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> > No, but we can feel morally justified to say they do it wrong by
> > making their posts less accessible for users (1) without font coverage
> > for those blocks; (2) of less capable displays such as out-of-the-box
> > Linux console; (3) of Braille displays; (4) of screen readers.
>
> In social media, it their individual expression and creators need not
> think how other people will perceive it, or not be able to perceive
> it. Computer program that read text should be programmed not
> robotically, rather humanely and know how to interpret such characters
> not in a robotical way, but in human kind of a way.
>
> These letters like 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥 𝐛𝐨𝐥𝐝 should be supported by every
> English screen reader, regardless, as those are letters of English
> alphabet.

No, they are letters of the Latin alphabet interpreted abstractly.
They are not even required to form words; as a string of mathematical
letterlike symbols, your “𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥” above might mean a
product of 12 vector variables and read accordingly: [em ei ti: eitch
i: em ei ti: si: ei el] in English, or [em uh te ush e em uh te i tse
uh el] in Russian (which borrows the pronunciation of single Latin
letters from French and/or German).