Re: Use Emacs as the IDE for Wolfram Mathematica.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Use Emacs as the IDE for Wolfram Mathematica.
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 23:37:43 +0800

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 10:13 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2021-05-24 15:48]:
> > You can add functionality as you wish.  When you use emacs for
> > personal use, you are not bound to GPL Licensed code only.
>
> (✿╹◡╹) That is right. Only that it is not a licensed software. I mean
> it is possible to imagine it is licensed, but it cannot be conveyed or
> given to anybody unless licensed properly.
>
> > > If that package runs without modification of Emacs software, it does
> > > not modify Emacs, it is just data that is interpreted. It also cannot
> > > require any of GPL libraries that are GPL licensed. However, majority
> > > of packages are written with the purpose to modify Emacs. Not to use
> > > Emacs Lisp solely for its own purposes.
> >
> > It could be for personal use, but not part of emacs.
>
> You got it right.
>
> > > If you write such code, under conditions not to modify Emacs, not to
> > > use GPL-ed libraries, then it could be proprietary. Otherwise legally
> > > it cannot be. Question is why would anybody use Emacs to write such
> > > interpreted programs when there are many other programming languages
> > > with MIT licensed libraries.
> >
> > You are correct, I was talking from the legal point of view, and
> > about emacs support for Wolfram Mathematica.  Ubuntu is one such
> > system, where you have free software where proprietary code is added
> > to it.
>
> Ubuntu is operating system, is is collection of software. It is not
> impossible to have collection with mix of proprietary and free
> software, I have seen such collections since 1999.
>
> Emacs support for proprietary software would be possible if such
> support is in terms of a mode that just takes care of editing.
>
> Problem would be if Emacs package requires the proprietary software
> and GPL-ed software in the same time.
>
> The IDE and modes most probably do not require, they would just
> execute external problem.

I found that the following project which is provided as a vscode
plugin. As far as I know, this one has the best support for the
Wolfram Mathematica language based on the Microsoft Language Server
Protocol (LSP).  And it also has the support for Emacs as described
here,  <https://github.com/kenkangxgwe/lsp-wl/wiki#gnu-emacs>, with
the following specific settings:

(add-to-list 'lsp-language-id-configuration '(wolfram-mode . "Mathematica"))

(lsp-register-client
 (make-lsp-client :language-id 'wolfram
                  :new-connection (lsp-tcp-server-command
                                   (lambda (port)
                                     `("wolfram" ;; or "wolframscript"
                                       "-script" ;; or "-file"
                                       "path/to/lsp-wl/init.wls"
                                       ,(concat
                                         "--socket="
                                         (number-to-string port)
                                         ))))
                  :major-modes '(wolfram-mode)
                  :server-id 'lsp-wl
                  ))

HY

> > > MIT licensed libraries one can use how one wants, GPL-ed no.
> >
> > MIT has used many licenses, and it is ambiguous because many faili
> > to distinguish between them.  One should not use the term "MIT
> > License".
>
> Yes, but you got it.
>

> --
> Jean
>
> Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
> https://www.fsf.org/campaigns
>
> Sign an open letter in support of Richard M. Stallman
> https://stallmansupport.org/

Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China