Re: Emacs 28.0.50 and facemenu-set-bold

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Emacs 28.0.50 and facemenu-set-bold
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 21:21:59 +0700

On Tue, 25 May 2021 at 20:33, Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> wrote:

> > In the other thread, you said your goal is to have everything
> > displayed in bold and your previous approach was to use
> > (facemenu-set-bold), so a better approach was suggested to you.
>
> Originally I was using (facemenu-set-bold) but things have changed lately.

How did it even work for you?

    $ ls -l /tmp/test-bold/
     .   ..   .emacs

    $ cat /tmp/test-bold/.emacs
    (facemenu-set-bold)

    $ HOME=/tmp/test-bold emacs

Observed behavior: Emacs starts up with *GNU Emacs* buffer. None of
its contents is bold.

    $ HOME=/tmp/test-bold emacs newfile

Observed behavior: Emacs starts up with an empty buffer. Text typed in
this buffer is displayed in bold. However, if I switch to *scratch*,
its contents are not bold. If I ‘C-x C-f’ a file, its text is not
bold.

    $ HOME=/tmp/test-bold emacs .emacs

Observed behavior: Emacs starts up with a buffer containing the text
‘(facemenu-set-bold)’. It is not bold. Entering any new text does not
make it bold.

Bottom line: your former approach does not work except in a single and
rare case.