Re: How users start programming in Emacs Lisp...

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How users start programming in Emacs Lisp...
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 01:50:26 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-31 01:20]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > But it could as well open it, instead jump to the heading.
> > It could jump to edit the note, or to read the PDF, or watch
> > movie. Only that attributes are defined in the object
> > itself, not in the Lisp function.
>
> Yes you can use it to go to different places but we do that
> with Emacs all the time already because otherwise we wouldn't
> even be able to use it...
>
> So maybe it is an interface to do that?

Interface yes. In dired we jump, but you cannot jump or get a list of
PDFs all related to specific subject, or tagged, or related to people,
groups, activities, you name it. Richer attributes, variety of
properties, rich associations, unlimited tags, those are lacking in
the file system.

Then there is no central reporting of software to user... software
installs itself and does not tell to user where is the config
file. Either one has to read manual, or try to search
manually. Instead installations could report to user by some
meaningful structural way what they did to the file system and that
such information becomes easily available to user: search for program
name, get all hyperlinks to all files or events caused by that program
(as event).

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns