Re: How users start programming in Emacs Lisp...

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How users start programming in Emacs Lisp...
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 02:35:06 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-31 02:05]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> >> People use Emacs in the corporate world like this?
> >
> > Text editors are widely used. What a question... have you
> > not seen black console screens in companies in Sweden, even
> > DOS is used in many modern places in the world because some
> > software simply works well.
>
> Never, they have dedicated business systems for this...

Watch better. Software in many companies is not necessarily upgraded
just because world upgrades OS-es, when something works, it works. I
have seen DOS programs still being used in large malls (under some
Windows).

> > It is difficult with other people's software. I have tried
> > it, it is not reliable. Example is the SugarCRM before so
> > many years, failures on upgrades would block the business.
> > Today they dropped the free software version, imagine what
> > disaster would that be if I would be still using it.
>
> Well then, tell them to use Emacs instead. That will organize
> up the whole place in many the most unexpected ways :)

You heavily underestimate the Emacs power.

It can do so much more, faster and better than SugarCRM with so much
better extensibility and so much less dark patterns.

Formula for software sales:
===========================
   Make it appear complex, inaccessible, but solution for all; the
   more complex, the more the company becomes solution provider; bind
   people, get them into the vendor trap; the more company keeps
   people stupid, the more sales they will get;

Formula for success:
====================
   Learn any programming language, DIY or organize people to program
   it for you. This is the approach taken from early years of Apple,
   micro computers and PC on the market.

Usually accountants and engineers were responsible to read the books
about programming language, and to make programs. Programs were often
made internally, in the company. When market offered more and more
varieties of software, companies and teachers relaxed more and stopped
programming. They forgot the formula for success.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/