Re: Run multiple shells in Emacs.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Run multiple shells in Emacs.
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 01:23:59 +0200

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> What's the preferable way to open multiple shell windows at the same
> time in Emacs?
>
> After searching with Google, I find the discussion here:
>
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6532998/how-to-run-multiple-shells-on-emacs>
>
> Basically, there are two types of methods to accomplish this:
>
> 1. Write a simple function, just as the one suggested on the above website:
>
> (defun create-shell ()
>     "creates a shell with a given name"
>     (interactive);; "Prompt\n shell name:")
>     (let ((shell-name (read-string "shell name: " nil)))
>     (shell (concat "*" shell-name "*"))))
>
> 2. Use an Emacs plugin/package, and I've found the following one:
> <https://github.com/manateelazycat/aweshell>.
>
> What are the recommended ways to use Emacs based on this kind of technique?

Aweshell does a lot of things and works with Eshell, not `shell' as your
first method.

Plain `eshell' already supports multiple instances (see its docstring),
as well as `shell' (see its docstring).

So if you want to open multiple shell buffers, you don't need neither a
new function nor a new package.