Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 06:53:02 +0300

* Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-02 04:39]:
> But I noticed that the shell commands issued in one terminal will also
> be shown in the other, i.e., they are the identical one. And I want to
> open multiple separate terminal buffers, with which I can issue
> different shell commands in them respectively and observe the
> corresponding executions of them.

You can use `ansi-term' command to open terminal with different programs:

ansi-term is an autoloaded interactive compiled Lisp function in
‘term.el’.

(ansi-term PROGRAM &optional NEW-BUFFER-NAME)

  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 28.1.

Start a terminal-emulator in a new buffer.
This is almost the same as ‘term’ apart from always creating a new buffer,
and ‘C-x’ being marked as a ‘term-escape-char’.

This below would open 2 different terminals with different shells:

(ansi-term "/bin/bash")
(ansi-term "/bin/zsh")

You can then use argument to invoke new program in new term.

(defun run-with-term ()
  (interactive)
  "Runs new command with term"
  (let ((my-programs '("/bin/bash" "/usr/bin/mc")))
    (ansi-term (completing-read "Program to run: " my-programs nil nil))))

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/