[External] : Supplying DOC string in a `defun' using `defvar'

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: [External] : Supplying DOC string in a `defun' using `defvar'
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 06:55:30 +0200

> Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2021 at 2:55 PM
> From: "Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor"
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: [External] : Supplying DOC string in a `defun' using `defvar'
>
> >> Seems that syntax is only meaningful in lexically binding Elisp.
> > Is there no syntax that works for dynamic and lexical binding?
>
> Why would you need it to work in the old dynbound dialect?
> Nowadays I see no good reason to use the old dialect for new code.

Then, ultimately, there will not be any dynamic binding?  From my point of view,
the docstring should have nothing to do with either dynamic or lexical binding.

The latest discussion has centered around using

(put 'myfunc 'function-documentation <doc-string>)

And that lexical binding would become default, but not yet.