[External] : Supplying DOC string in a `defun' using `defvar'

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: [External] : Supplying DOC string in a `defun' using `defvar'
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 15:35:44 +0200

> Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2021 at 1:09 AM
> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: [External] : Supplying DOC string in a `defun' using `defvar'
>
> > Then, ultimately, there will not be any dynamic binding?
>
> Not at all: the old dialect is called "dynamically bound" because its
> most recognizable property is that it offers only dynamic binding,
> whereas the new dialect has both.

> > From my point of view, the docstring should have nothing to do with
> > either dynamic or lexical binding.
>
> No, but it's a new language feature, so it makes sense that you need to
> use the new dialect for it be available.

I understand

> > And that lexical binding would become default, but not yet.
>
> The "default" is largely irrelevant: you get to choose for every ELisp
> file which dialect it uses.

Would that not be excessive.  Should new users worry about dynamic and
lexical binding when playing the elisp?  I would say that the designation
should be normally set by the user, except when he has a reason for doing
things differently.

> Have you tried to click on that "/d"?

It introduced  -*- lexical-binding: t; -*- at the top of the file

Is that enough or would I need additional setup commands?