RE: [External] : Supplying DOC string in a `defun' using `defvar'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Supplying DOC string in a `defun' using `defvar'
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 19:58:25 +0000

> >> it's a new language feature, so it makes sense that
> >> you need to use the new dialect for it be available.
> >
> > I don't see how that makes sense at all.  It doesn't
> > follow logically that every "new language feature"
> > must work _only_ with the lexical binding dialect
> > turned ON.
>
> Indeed it doesn't mean it would be bad to support
> (:documentation <foo>) in the dynbound case.  But
> it's argument for not bothering to do so.

As the examples in this thread indicate, users will
be mightily confused when they try to use
:documentation without `lexical-binding' turned on.
This thread is a poster child for such confusion.

Is the aim to cause such bother intentionally, to
get users looking into discovering why the gotcha,
and thus discover (and use) `lexical-binding'?
Or is this bug/bother for users really just a case
of "not bothering" to DTRT?

Either way, it seems like this should be fixed,
preferably sooner rather than later.