Re: Symbol's function definition is void: mathpix-app-id

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Symbol's function definition is void: mathpix-app-id
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 11:53:38 +0300

* Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-09 11:40]:
> I try to test the mathpix.el package located at
> <https://github.com/jethrokuan/mathpix.el>, using Emacs git master
> version on Ubuntu 20.04 with the following methods:
>
> # Clone the github repo:
> $ cd .emacs.d/elpa
> $ git clone https://github.com/jethrokuan/mathpix.el.git mathpix.el.git
>
> Add the following code snippet into ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
>
> (load-file "~/.emacs.d/elpa/mathpix.el.git/mathpix.el")
> (mathpix-app-id "app_id")
> (mathpix-app-key "app_key")
>
> Start Emacs and run the following command to do the test:
>
> "M-x mathpix-screenshot RET"
>
> Then I meet the following error:
>
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> ‘/home/apollo/.emacs.d/init.el’:
>
> Symbol's function definition is void: mathpix-app-id
>
> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace. Disable
> showing Disable logging

(load-file "~/.emacs.d/elpa/mathpix.el.git/mathpix.el")
(mathpix-app-id "app_id")
(mathpix-app-key "app_key")

At first place in a list within parenthesis comes the instruction on
what to do with the list:

Recommended is to evaluate the below:
(info "(eintr) Run a Program")

As in this case `mathpix-app-id' should be instruction to evaluate
something. That instruction is defined as a function usually.

(mathpix-app-id "app_id")

Because the function `mathpix-app-pid' does not exist, there is error.

Instead, what you need most probably is:

(setq mathpix-app-id "app_id")

as then the instruction `set' or "Set quoted" means to assign the
value "app_id" to variable `mathpix-app-id'.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman