Re: Changing completion-style using the minibuffer

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Changing completion-style using the minibuffer
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 05:49:38 +0300

* arvid-harnack@lavache.com <arvid-harnack@lavache.com> [2021-06-11 23:03]:
> I have the following code to change completion-styles by calling "M-x
> minibufrp-complt-style".
>

> But would like to change it so that I can go through the four selections
> using the minibuffer.
>
> What would I need to add exactly to be able to do so ?

(defvar k 1)

In itself the below function is just looking to variable `k' and
makes changes based on its value. If you wish to change the
variable `completion-styles' you need not have any other
variable.

(defun minibufrp-complt-style ()
  (interactive)
  (pcase k
    (1
     (setq completion-styles '(basic substring))
     (setq k 2))
    (2
     (setq completion-styles '(partial-completion))
     (setq k 3))
    (3
     (setq completion-styles '(initials))
     (setq k 4))
    (4
     (setq completion-styles '(orderless))
     (setq k 1)) ))

Following could be solution for multiple choice:

(defun minibufrp-complt-style ()
  (interactive)
  (let* ((collection '((?b '(basic substring) "Basic Substring")
                       (?p '(partial-completion) "Partial Completion")
                       (?i '(initials) "Initials")
                       (?o '(orderless) "Orderless")))
         (style (read-multiple-choice "Style: " collection)))
    (setq completion-styles (nth 1 style))))

Overall that does not nicely solve the problem as you may wish to
have multiple completion styles in the variable
`completion-styles' and you may get in trouble doing it that way.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman