Re: Combine multiple (straight-)use-package commands into one.

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Combine multiple (straight-)use-package commands into one.
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 16:54:03 +0200

On 6/13/21 3:29 PM, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 8:53 PM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 6:22 PM Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> wrote:
On 12/06/2021 16:57, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:
On Ubuntu 20.04, according to the instruction
[here](https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/786#issuecomment-859155336),
I use the following settings in my Emacs init file:

```
;;Bootstrap straight
(defvar bootstrap-version)
(let ((bootstrap-file
         (expand-file-name "straight/repos/straight.el/bootstrap.el"
user-emacs-directory))
        (bootstrap-version 5))
    (unless (file-exists-p bootstrap-file)
      (with-current-buffer
          (url-retrieve-synchronously

"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/raxod502/straight.el/develop/install.el";
           'silent 'inhibit-cookies)
        (goto-char (point-max))
        (eval-print-last-sexp)))
    (load bootstrap-file nil 'nomessage))

;; Install use-package via straight
(straight-use-package 'use-package)

;; Setting this to `t' makes it so that you don't need to include the :straight
;; keyword in use-package declarations unless you want to add/extend the package
;; installation recipe.

(setq straight-use-package-by-default t) ; straight's equivalent of
`use-package-always-ensure'.
```
Now, I want to install multiple package hosted in recipe repositories
(such as MELPA) as shown below with only one (straight-)use-package
command, is it possible?
```
(use-package flycheck)
(use-package lsp-mode)
(use-package dash)
(use-package posframe)
(use-package s)
(use-package ein)
(use-package smartparens)
(use-package valign)
(use-package multi-term)
```
Based on the code snippets at
<https://github.com/flakyhermit/emacs.d/blob/6b488895071e980433facf648f482974526d6a13/init.el#L22>,
I figured out the following solution with `straight-use-package'
command:

(defvar package-list)
(setq package-list '(
         flycheck lsp-mode dash posframe
         s ein smartparens valign
         multi-term
))

(mapc (lambda(package-name)
(straight-use-package package-name)) package-list)

But I still don't know the corresponding implementation with
`use-package' command.
I don't understand what you don't like about this code: as far as I know
(straight-use-package 'foo) is strictly equivalent to (use-package foo
:straight t), and with straight-use-package-by-default you don't need
the :straight t.

Why is it such a problem to have straight-use-package in this loop
instead of use-package?
Just out of curiosity to learn Lisp's ability: understanding and grasp
different methods for the same job.

One confusion which took me quite a long time to clear, is that despite
the similar names, straight-use-package and use-package have very
different purposes: straight-use-package is for installing the package
(similar to package-install) while use-package is for grouping together
everything related to a package (this includes installation, either by
straight or package.el,
AFAIK, straight is not compatible with package.el, see
<https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/786#issuecomment-859155336>
for more detailed info.
Also see <https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el#getting-started>:

You should remove any code that relates to package.el; for example,
references to package-initialize, package-archives, and (if you're
using use-package) :ensure or use-package-always-ensure.

Yes, use-package can be used with straight and package.el by just changing a keyword (:ensure <-> :straight), but mixing them in the same configuration is definitely not recommended.

Straight itself is not compatible with package.el and has no reason to be, since it is intended as a replacement.