Re: Tooltip and incremental drop-down menus of automatic completion.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Tooltip and incremental drop-down menus of automatic completion.
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 17:57:42 +0800

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 4:22 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-14 10:04]:
> > When I typeset LaTeX source file in Emacs with auctex enabled, I
> > want to know if the features like tooltip and incremental drop-down
> > menus of automatic completion are available.
>
> I don't know about the tooltip, that usually shortly explains the icon
> in the toolbar.

See screenshot named as tooltip.png, which is shown in TeXstudio.

> Completion of macros is available with C-M-i, for example you write:
>
> \use and press C-M-i then you get possible completions:
>
> Click on a completion to select it.
> In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.
>
> Possible completions are:
> usebox
> usecounter
> usepackage
>
> If you write:
>
> \usep
>
> and press C-M-i it completes to \usepackage
>
> Now to get an incremental drop down meny I may recommend using package
> `ivy' from GNU ELPA as that would open up the possible completions
> when using macro completion key bindings C-M-i
>
> See screenshot attached, as it shows possible incremental completion
> next to the cursor, that is `ivy' package doing it.

I tried `ivy' in Emacs, but it shows some shortcomings, as described below:

1. The incremental drop down menu only will be triggered when the
input character number greater than 3.
2. Some commands, say, `\href', will not be automatically completed at all.

But TeXstudio doesn't have all the above-mentioned disadvantages, see
screenshot named as autocompletin.png for more detailed info.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China