Re: Using aspell in emacs

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: Using aspell in emacs
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 14:38:35 -0400

henri-biard@francemel.fr writes:

> Have been trying to set aspell for me to correct words instead of ispell.
> But Have not found any information on how to call aspell commands in emacs.
> Have installed aspell using synaptic package manager.

C-h v ispell-program-name. Mine says:

,----
| ispell-program-name is a variable defined in ‘ispell.el’.
| Its value is "/usr/bin/aspell"
|
|   You can customize this variable.
|
| Documentation:
| Program invoked by M-$ and M-x ispell-region commands.
`----

And if I check `ispell.el' I see the choices:

,----
| (defcustom ispell-program-name
|   (or (executable-find "aspell")
|       (executable-find "ispell")
|       (executable-find "hunspell")
|       "ispell")
`----

So if you have installed aspell and emacs can find it, it will use it
automatically.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler