Re: Using Emacs for business

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Using Emacs for business
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 00:59:27 +0200

Jean Louis wrote:

>>> My targets are expressed in money count. If there is
>>> money, than it means I did learn enough of Lisp.
>>
>> Money in Lisp :)
>>
>> Go for Python if you care about money.
>
> There is pleasure and there is money result. Any programming
> language is fine. Emacs has a fast ready interface and
> libraries that speeds up necessary functions.

If you care about money, you should learn a language with
a strong presence in the commercial and business world.
Python is such a language and Python also has very fast devel
time, where even a beginner programmer in Python can get
pretty advanced stuff up-and-running in one or two weeks
or so.

Lisp on the other hand has some footing in the university and
CS world but even there it isn't so widespread anymore, and as
for the business world it is very, very uncommon compared to
other languages.

Development time in Lisp is also much slower than in Python
and there are other disadvantages as well from a business
point of view, for example try googling a problem you just
encountered in Lisp, then do the same in Python, in Python you
get tons of quality hits instantly, in Lisp, for an uncommon
problem you might not get a single one, Lisp also tends to be
much more varied in terms of style which I think is a good
thing, but the boss of a company don't like it since new
employees must understand and get into code written by others,
and so on. And there are more examples/reasons.

>        Objects Today        | Count
> ----------------------------+-------
>  Emails sent                |   488
>  Hyperscope, new objects    |   280
>  Hyperscope, objects sent   |   290
>  Hyperscope objects tagged  | 20268
>  Hyperscope, people related |   291
>  Mailings sent              |  3982
>  People                     |    56
>  People, tagged             |   256
>  SMS Sent                   |   239
>  Tags                       |   167
> (11 rows)

Well, as the Americans put it during their industrialization
process, which no one can deny the success of nevermind what
opinions one may have of it, "What you cannot measure you
cannot control." And I agree 100%. The US/Canadian obsession
with stats in sports is a echo of this process and attitude.
That said, I don't know what you are trying to communicate by
showing that table?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal