Re: Appending lists

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Appending lists
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 01:39:27 +0200

Jean Louis wrote:

> It is exactly what I said, you talk about
> underlying structures.
>
> It doesn't keep the variable's value constant as you said.

It is the same value, the variable after its assignment
(`setq') holds a reference to the first cons cell of the list,
and after the evaluation of `nreverse' the variable holds
a reference to the same cons cell, i.e. nothing has changed
with respect to that variable, its value remains the
same, untouched since the setq.

> To put a point across it would be better to announce or make
> a title that you don't talk how "variable never changes",
> but you talk about the structures in memory and somewhat
> interesting though practically within the spoken context
> useless information.

:O

> What matters for programmer is that variable A instead of
> holding value 1 now has value 2

Unheard of!

Well, suffice to say, some programmers have pushed their level
of ambition beyond what Super-Jean is trying to say - which
is, tellingly perhaps, also incorrect :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal