Re: The convenient method to check/inspect/retrieve the definition/usage

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: The convenient method to check/inspect/retrieve the definition/usage of any commands/symbols/operators used in elisp code.
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 23:40:33 +0800

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 10:48 PM Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Are there any built-in method of Emacs which can let me conveniently
> > check/inspect/retrieve the definition/usage of any
> > commands/symbols/operators used in elisp code at-the-point/in-situ?
> > Say, for the following code snippets:
> >
> > ;;;
> >   (defun fk/company-wordfreq-toggle-language (&optional language)
> >     (interactive)
> >     (setq ispell-local-dictionary (or language
> >                                       (if (string=
> > ispell-local-dictionary "english")
> >                                           "turkish"
> >                                         "english")))
> > [...]
> >   `(progn
> >     ,@(mapcar (lambda (p) `(use-package ,p))
> >               packages)))
> >
> > (use-multiple-packages flycheck
> >                        dash
> >                        )
> >
> > [...]
> > (mapcar #'straight-use-package '(flycheck lsp-mode dash ...))
> >
> > ;or equivalently
> >
> > (defvar my-package-list '(flycheck lsp-mode dash ...))
> > (mapcar #'straight-use-package my-package-list)
> > ;;;
> >
> > I want to find some convenient methods built in Emacs itself with an
> > in-situ manner - by moving the point to the interest position - to
> > check any commands/symbols/operators used in them.
> >
> > Regards
>
> there is M-. (xref-find-definitions) that will jump to the definition of
> the symbol at point (at least in emacs lisp buffers),

Thank you very much. But still there are some symbols can't find with
this method, say, #'  ,@  ' and so on.

> and M-, (xref-pop-marker-stack) to jump back.

I use scratch buffer to test, and it can't jump back there.

> Or you can C-h f or C-h v (describe-function/variable) and then M-n
> (next-history-element) to bring in the symbol at point.

I meet the following message: M-n is undefined, as shown in the
attached screenshot file.

HY
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China