Re: icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect

From: 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE
Subject: Re: icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 10:04:00 -0700

On 2021-06-18 at 18:52:58 +0200,

On 2021-06-19 at 18:31:45 +0200,
arvid-harnack@lavache.com wrote:

> It could also be that the bug-report subject was not good enough
> for Lars to understand my intention.  Could people who agree with
> the change help me out on this?

Try this (untested) in one of your startup files:

    (defadvice icomplete-vertical-mode
        (before activate-icomplete-before-icomplete-vertical activate)
      "activate icomplete-mode before activating icomplete-vertical-mode"
      (icomplete-mode 1))

According to https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/, Emacs is "[a]n
extensible, customizable, self-documenting display editor"; if you don't
like some given behavior, then you can very likely modify that behavior.

Arguably, it did take quite some effort to discover that you need both
function calls.  Perhaps you could submit a patch to that bug report to
update icomplete-vertical-mode's documentation instead of changing
emacs's behavior for everyone.