icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect

From: arvid-harnack
Subject: icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 18:02:45 +0200 (CEST)

>From: 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE@potatochowder.com
>To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>Subject: Re: icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect
>Date: 20/06/2021 17:44:19 Europe/Paris

>On 2021-06-20 at 17:27:35 +0200,
>arvid-harnack@lavache.com wrote:

>> I am also disappointed when I see how ivy works.  But helm and ivy are
>> both too big.  Furthermore, they are external packages. icomplete can
>> more easily implement a vertical mode with not much complication than
>> using ivy.  It is very easy to criticise me about my attitude than
>> recognising a bad job.  I know it is in development stage, but it is a
>> crucial stage for change before the implementation hardens in place.
>> Otherwise it will be much harder for suggestions to be applied.

>As per https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html:

>“Free software” means that ... the users have the freedom to run,
>copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software.

>Evidently, the existing completion frameworks fail to meet your
>standards and expectations. I think it's safe to infer that you've run
>various frameworks. I don't know whether you've copied or distributed
>them. Your commentary indicates a certain level of study, at least from

>a user's perspective. IMO, the next steps are clear.

And to many others, I am sure.  You are right, I have run various
frameworks.  some copied, some written.  But to write can be
hindered by the tools that are available.  It is very easy to
break some other thing.  The quality I end up with also depends
on the quality of the work of others.  And I have many years of
experience with testing department in a global technology leader.