FW: [External] : Re: Emacs Modular Configuration: the preferable way.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: FW: [External] : Re: Emacs Modular Configuration: the preferable way.
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 18:26:32 +0000

> > It's common for those new to Elisp to look for, find, and
> > use string-manipulation functions to manipulate file names
> > and their components. Unfortunately (but understandably).
>
> Why are filenames strings then?

A file name is a string.  A string is not necessarily
a file name.

> Make a new type for them if you don't like one to use
> and modify them as strings.

I don't care whether you use and modify file-name
strings as arbitrary strings.  Feel free to do that.

My advice was for anyone who's open to it.  It will
generally help people to use the file-name functions,
in my experience.  You can likely find stories of
problems users have run into by not doing so.  YMMV.

Anyone (including you) can submit an enhancement
request (`M-x report-emacs-bug') to do <whatever>,
including to add a file-name type.