Re: Emacs Modular Configuration: the preferable way.

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Emacs Modular Configuration: the preferable way.
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 20:38:29 +0200

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Arthur Miller wrote:
>
>> Isn't it better to use path formatting function instead of
>> string formatting to ensure platform indepent paths
>
> If the path is a string and the filename is a string joining
> them with "string formatting" is pretty natural I think?

In some functions it matters if you end filename with a slash or
not when you work with directories. Path formatting functions take care
of that for example. Personally I think it is less error prone, than
using string functions.

> Or what do you think one should do to put together for example
> the complete path ~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/erc/erc-iterate.el ?

I pasted you an example from my init file.

> That path (and the entire) file isn't platform independent to
> begin with and has never been used outside the Unix world BTW,
> but why not add that for fun if there is a way that is
> better...

It is up to you how you write your init file, but they say never say
never ...