RE: [External] : Re: Useful completion package in GNU ELPA

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Useful completion package in GNU ELPA
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:32:21 +0000

> > Thanks for the recommendation. I gave it a try, got frustrated by the
> > lack of cycling in the minibuffer...
>
> aggressive-completion-mode basically hits TAB for you and then it is
> obvious that it must disable cycling.  Otherwise, it would cycle after
> every command if the remaining completions are below
> completion-cycle-threshold.
>
> But it disabled cycling only during its own stuff, so you can still TAB
> yourself and get cycling depending on your setting of
> completion-cycle-threshold.

Dunno about agressive-*, and certainly yet another
completion mechanism is welcome.

But showing completions initially, which I guess is at
least part of what you mean by "hits TAB for you", is
(or can be) independent of using TAB to cycle.

Icicles, for instance, has no trouble showing completions
at the outset and letting you use TAB to cycle.  It also
has no trouble letting you use TAB to show completions
(if you don't want them shown automatically) and yet also
use TAB to cycle.

And I'm sure Icicles is not the only such example by now.