Re: Org-mode blocks multiline fontification performance

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Org-mode blocks multiline fontification performance
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 09:38:58 +0300

* Sébastien Miquel <sebastien.miquel@posteo.eu> [2021-06-24 09:27]:
> Jean Louis writes:
> > Use the chunked approach, make 2 files one including the other.
> A workaround, certainly. But a reasonable document might contains some 20
> such
> blocks of moderate size, say 10-30 lines each.
>
> Really what I'm wondering is if there's a different way to achieve such
> fontification with font-lock.

Somebody else may help on that.

Personally I have switched from Org to meta-level database backed
editing of any objects with any kind of modes. I am similarly using
programming blocks (often PostgreSQL reports) and they are opened as a
single object in PostgreSQL or SQL mode. I can describe them but their
description is in a different place and separate. If I wish to include
them in a main Org (or other type) file, it is matter of a second, and
their report is included. Though I don't use files the same approach
can work well with files and Org files to include programming blocks
from other files.

Then I would make a non-exporting link in Org file that brings me to
other file to be edited, and in that other (included) file I would
make a link back to the master Org file. This way switching back and
forth is easy.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns