[OFFTOPIC] Semver (was: Emacs Versions: major, minor and ...?)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [OFFTOPIC] Semver (was: Emacs Versions: major, minor and ...?)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 18:11:41 -0400

[ Retitled to clarify we're not talking about Emacs versions.  ]

> Yes, major.minor.patch is what I've heard, I guess
> major.minor.micro is more logical but it is always (sometimes)
> good with a style change at the end, it makes it
> more interesting.
>
> The problem with this scheme is where do you draw the line
> between these three things, exactly?

It's simple and clear:

- "micro/patch" changes preserve both forward and backward compatibility.

- "minor" changes break forward compatible but not backward compatibility.

- "major" changes break both forward and backward compatibility.

        Stefan