Re: [EBDB] How to create a role (record)?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [EBDB] How to create a role (record)?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 09:01:08 -0700

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@optimizory.com> writes:

> How to create a new Role type of record? I could not find a command in
> the help. And the one mentioned in ‘section 4.4.1 Role’ fields is not
> working. This section specifies ‘F’. But this is bound to
> ‘ebdb-format-these-records’.

Huh, something went wrong in the manual there. "Using the 'F'"? The
proper key is "R", to both create a new record, and give the record
under point a role in that new record.

A role is a field type, not a record type, so you can create a role as
normal by hitting "i" and then selecting "role" as the type. That
requires both records (person and organization) to already exist.

That reminds me, I've been meaning to add a hook so that, after a new
record is created, EBDB checks if its mail addresses matches any
organization domain, and offers to create a role field. I'll see if I
can add that today, and release a new version.

Hope that solves the problem for now, though! Thanks for the report.

Eric