Re: append, push, and add-to-list.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: append, push, and add-to-list.
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 10:16:45 +0800

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 12:19 AM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> > I've noticed there are some similar functions, i.e., append,
> > push, and add-to-list, for revising/updating the content of
> > a list. But I'm still not so clear on the specific use
> > scenarios for them. Consider the following command [1]
>
> `nconc', `cl-pushnew', (setq lst `(,@lst el)) ...

Does the following append `el' to `lst'?

(setq lst `(,@lst el))

> > [...] Which methods are preferable?
>
> Good question, perhaps in the manual somewhere they listed
> and explained all in one place, if not, the help (`C-h f')
> should be your friend.
>
> But my intuition tells me, just because there are many options
> a, b, ..., and z, that doesn't mean necessarily that one is
> optimal for that situation.

This is one of the reasons that baffles me the most - there are so
many functions in Emacs.

HY
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China