Re: [OFFTOPIC] Semver

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Semver
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 23:30:07 +0200

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

>> But what do you do to preserve/break forward compatibility?
>
> Strictly speaking, any change to the code can break
> something somewhere

Yes...

> but the general rule to preserve forward compatibility is
> "don't introduce new features".

Okay? I couldn't have guessed that... hm, how does it work
out? Ah, no new features -> major stays the same! But that's
"forward" only with respect to minor.micro/patch or what?

> You can preserve forward compatibility while breaking backward
> compatibility, e.g. by making a release that adds no new features but
> drops support for old features (e.g. making the code more efficient
> along the way).

So, new features -> major, drop support -> minor (forward
OK but not backward), and bugfix -> micro/patch (forward OK,
backward OK) ?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal