Re: Gnus configuration

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Gnus configuration
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 01:47:55 +0200

Hello Edouard,

> In my case, I think it is more useful to see any other secondary mark
> than the cached one, before the cached mark and, see this later only if
> no other secondary marks apply to the message.

I never have used caching.  It doesn't seem possible out of the box.

The definitions of the format specifiers are in
`gnus-summary-line-format-alist'.  The format line is calculated in
`gnus-summary-prepare-threads'.  After reading that code, it doesn't
seem to be the case that what you want can be gotten by configuration.

So I think you want to define an appropriate "gnus-user-format-function"
that offers what you want.  AFAIU it can refer to any dynamical bindinds
in effect when the

  (eval gnus-summary-line-format-spec t)

call in `gnus-summary-prepare-threads' is processed.

> Another trouble is that, as soon as a message enters the cache, the
> number of characters (%k) is no more displayed and is replaced by "n/a".
> Is it possible to configure gnus so as to keep the number of characters
> event if the article is cached ?

I don't have a clue about this one.  Seems to come from
`gnus-summary-line-message-size'.  I guess the answer is probably "no".

Regards,

Michael.