Quote by Knuth

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Quote by Knuth
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 22:51:33 +0300

* tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> [2021-07-05 18:42]:
> There's at least one wise person who put that exactly the other
> way around:
>
>   "Programming is the art of telling another human being
>    what one wants the computer to do"
>
>    -- D.E.Knuth [1]

Maybe Knuth's quote is related to literate programming. Maybe it is
related to the resulting program and user's view of it.

It mentions "another human being" and not "another programmer"
specifically.

It is nice to have quotes.

It is nice to remember that quotes apply only within specific
contexts and that there is no absoluta.

Programs are made for people, users could not care less how is program
really written. They need not know it.

Theoreticall background may be so much distinct from practical
application.

Majority of applications today are for users and their life, business
or entertainment. They care less of what we theoretically speak
about the underlying program. What they want is functional software,
and users often don't even know they are running "software", as terms
changed so much. They may call it by name, like "Open Google" when
they open any kind of browser, they may not know what "browser" ist,
etc.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns