Quote by Knuth

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Quote by Knuth
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 01:21:13 +0200

> Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2021 at 10:26 AM
> From: "Alexandre Garreau" <galex-713@galex-713.eu>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Quote by Knuth
>
> Le mercredi 7 juillet 2021, 00:16:10 CEST Emanuel Berg via Users list for
> the GNU Emacs text editor a écrit :
> > Christopher Dimech wrote:
> > > You can certainly argue with millions of programmers, if you
> > > do it consciously. But perhaps the conclusion has not been
> > > part of your experience, so you hesitate.
> >
> > There are no millions of programmers using "literate
> > programming"...

Mostly they are school children and some academics teaching them.
Nothing serious.

> We should count LaTeX programmers and org-mode users, I think these are
> most of that population.  I’m not even sure of what’s the count of
> programmers worldwide already so well…  Millions could indeed be a great
> exageration.

You should not count typesetting as programming.  Producing a document is not
about computation, but a literary text, which by definition has to be a
human literate result.  Scripting languages have also the capability for
human literate results.

There are about 16 million programmers in the world.