Recommended way to make pop-to-buffer use the current window?

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Recommended way to make pop-to-buffer use the current window?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 01:05:43 -0300

Hi list,

what is the recommended way to create a wrapper around a function that
uses `pop-to-buffer' to make it use the current window to display its
buffer? I am asking because I want to add support for shortdoc to eev...
If I run this

  (shortdoc-display-group 'alist)

in a two-window setting in which the selected window is the one at the
left then the buffer "*Shortdoc alist*" appears in the right window,
and the selected window becomes the one at the right...

...and I would like to create a function that can be called like this,

  (find-shortdoc 'alist)

that would work like `shortdoc-display-group' but that would never
change the window setting and that would always use the current window
to shortdoc buffer...

If anyone is curious about why eev needs this, there is more info here:

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-here-links-intro.html#2
  (find-here-links-intro "2. \"Here\"")

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-eev-quick-intro.html#3
  (find-eev-quick-intro "3. Elisp hyperlinks")

Thanks in advance,
  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/#eev