Re: Emacs i18n

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 12:53:24 +0300

> From: Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 11:27:14 +0200
>
> Are there translations for Emacs in other languages?

No, not at this time.  Translating the Emacs UI is a non-trivial
project, as past discussions have indicated, for several good reasons.
No one started to work on that seriously, AFAIK.

We do have the ngettext function, but (a) it has limited scope of only
supporting localization of echo-area and minibuffer messages; (b) it
is called only in a small number of places; and (c) we don't yet have
message catalogs, nor have we figured out how to distribute them in a
way that would allow a package to come with its own message catalog.

(Btw, "translation" in the UI context are not generally referred to as
"i18n", but as "localization", "l10n".)