Re: Can Emacs started with `-nw' option view pdf with pdf-tools?

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Can Emacs started with `-nw' option view pdf with pdf-tools?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 13:47:19 +0200

Le sam. 17 juil. 2021 à 12:38, Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 3:00 PM Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > I'm using auctex and pdf-tools with Emacs,  and find that if I start
> > > Emacs with `emacs -nw`, the pdf-tools won't let me preview pdf.
> > >
> > > Any hints?
> > >
> > > Regards
> >
> > Yes you need a GUI window to display images (which is what pdf-tools
> > does).
>
> Basically, if I start emacs without `-nw' option, the `C-c C-v' will
> do the job described here automatically. But how to let `C-c C-v' open
> a GUI window for this case?

Emacs with -nw has no concept of "GUI window", so I don't think that
it is possible.

If you use emacs as a daemon and start a terminal client with
emacsclient -t, there might be a way to have C-c C-v open a gui client
with pdf-view, but that would be tricky.

Otherwise, I guess you could always define your own viewer command,
which would start another emacs and open the pdf with pdf-view. But
you'd probably be better off spawning a pdf viewer if it comes to
that.

Thibaut