Re: Can Emacs started with `-nw' option view pdf with pdf-tools?

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Can Emacs started with `-nw' option view pdf with pdf-tools?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 20:51:28 +0800

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 7:52 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> > Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 18:37:51 +0800
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> >
> > how to let `C-c C-v' open a GUI window for this case?
>
> Start the server (M-x server-start RET), then connect with emacsclient
> to that server, and you will have a GUI frame.
>
> But I don't understand why you start Emacs with -nw if you then want
> GUI frames in that session.  Why not start Emacs without -nw to begin
> with?

For the following considerations:

1. Without using the -nw option, the speed and efficiency could be better.
2. For the remote case, if I want to open an Emacs over ssh without
using tramp-mode, in this situation, start Emacs with `-nw' option is
a natural way.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province